Weapons (guns and knives) are strictly prohibited in the courtroom. This does not apply to law enforcement personnel. Also, items such as pocket knives, scissors or anything deemed as unacceptable will be confiscated upon entry into the building. Certain confiscated items will be held and may be returned upon departure.
- The defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- The defendant does not have to testify or present witnesses.
- The City has the burden of proof of guilt.
- The City is always represented by a lawyer.
- A defendant may represent himself at trial, or be represented by an attorney licensed by the State of Alabama.