The Coffee County Courthouse
The Courthouse, at the center of the Square, is the heart of downtown. In 1903, after Elba was selected as the county seat of Coffee County, the town was moved back from the river one-half mile to its present location. The Courthouse was built in the center and most of the streets were named for leading citizens. Elba was incorporated on April 13, 1853. The Courthouse has withstood the flooding of the Pea River on numerous occasions. Today the Courthouse is still in operation.
Elba United Methodist Church
Known for its lighted neon cross, the United Methodist Church is a recognizable historic landmark. Elba houses a variety of churches scattered throughout the historic City, and the multitude of churches gives way to a sense of religious diversity. Numerous steeples poke out among the buildings, and the history encompassed in these numerous churches dates back to the 19th Century. Tours include a view of some of these historical and architectural treasures, and a blend of history and beauty combine to make this an exciting way to take a trip into Elba's past.
Located in downtown Elba the Governor Jame E. (Big Jim) Folsom Birthplace is designated as a historic landmark by the State of Alabama. Folsom, a resident of Elba, Coffee County, served as the 45th and 47th Governor of Alabama. He lived in the home from 1908 to 1910 when it was located near the Folsom Mill Creek and Tabernacle communities. The family moved to Elba in 1910 where Governor Jim Folson grew up and attended school. The Folsom family continued to own the home until local officials in Elba received it and relocated it to its current Putnam Street site in 2002 - next to the old Coffee County jail.
The Old Coffee County Jail
No trip to Elba would be complete without a visit to the historical Old Coffee County Jail. Built nearly a century-ago in 1912, the Old Coffee County Jail in Elba has seen its fair share of tragedy. March 1, 1979, Coffee County Sheriff C.F. "Neil" Grantham was murdered in front of the jail. Visitors may wander the Old Jail's grounds and cold hallways to see its mysterious writings on the walls. The jail is located next to the Elba Chamber of Commerce, 329 Putnam Street.
Many of Elba's most prominent citizens are buried here. The Cemetery is located on what was once the site of the Evergreen Primitive Baptist Church. The oldest marked grave is that of George Yelverton who died in 1849. There are 58 confederate soldiers buried at the cemetery, many in unmarked graves. The gazebo in the cemetery, called the Summer House, was built in April of 1907 and renovated in 2017. The cemetery is located near North Claxton and Johnson Street.
For more information on historical landmarks in Elba, visit: TRAVEL ALABAMA